Smart meters for your business
Smart meters work by sending meter readings to your energy supplier using a SIM card in the meter, just like a mobile phone. Once you’re connected you don't need to send us meter readings and you'll receive accurate bills. This means you’ll only pay for the energy you use.
We only work with businesses that have smart electricity meters fitted. If you don’t have a smart meter at your business premises yet, we will fit one for you free of charge.
For more information about smart meters and how they can help your business, take a look at our smart meter FAQs.
Smart metering code of practice
We want your smart meter installation to be clear and easy. That’s why we’re part of the Smart Metering Installation Code of Practice (SMICoP) which has been approved by OFGEM.
This means we’ll always:
- Give you a high quality of service throughout the installation
- Book an appointment at a time to suit your business
- Minimise disruption
- Tell you if we can’t install your smart meter and go through your options
- Show you how your smart meter works
For more information download the Smart Metering Installation Code of Practice.
Smart meter data
The usage data from your smart meter can give useful insight into how your business uses energy. We’ll collect daily or half hourly usage data from your smart meter and may use this for commercial purposes, for example to develop new products and services.
We’ll never provide the data to any third party, unless required to by law, without your express permission.
You can choose to opt out of smart meter data collection. This means:
- We won't collect or store your smart meter data
- We won't share data with you
- We'll still take a monthly meter reading so you get accurate bills
If you want to opt out, please log in and tell our UK-based webchat team.